Mathematics is a creative and highly inter-connected discipline that has been developed over centuries, providing the solution to some of history’s most intriguing problems. It is essential to everyday life, critical to science, technology and engineering, and necessary for financial literacy and most forms of employment. A high-quality mathematics education therefore provides a foundation for understanding the world, the ability to reason mathematically, an appreciation of the beauty and power of mathematics, and a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about the subject.(DfE Mathematics National Curriculum 2013)
Our amazing children follow an exciting, engaging curriculum from the White Rose Maths hub. The teachers adapt their planning according to the needs of the pupils at the time. Having access to high quality learning materials at school or for home learning has been an unexpected highlight of Maths this year.
You can find out more about White Rose here: here
We believe that:
EVERYONE CAN DO MATHS: EVERYONE CAN!
At St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School we aim to develop in children;
- A positive attitude to mathematics as an interesting and valuable subject
- An understanding of mathematics through a process of enquiry, reasoning and problem solving
- A range of learning strategies: working both cooperatively, collaboratively and independently
- Confidence in mathematics where children can express ideas fluently and talk about the subject using mathematical language
- An understanding of the importance of mathematics in everyday life